Monday, March 23, 2009

Spinning before and after - ArtemisArtemis

I hauled out my wheel today and spun up the 2.5oz batt from ArtemisArtemis. It's called "Pastel Garden" and it's a mix of angora, silk, merino and a sprinkling of angelina. Does it sound decadent? It totally was. Spinning this was so much fun, I finished the entire batt this afternoon. I didn't use the mohair locks for this project. (Click photos to enlarge)



As the colors mixed, the singles were much more muted than the batt, but there were big chunks of robin's egg blue, yellow and a shot of orange. I pulled the batt into lengthwise strips and spun them like roving. The strips drafted very easily and I was able to control the colors to a certain degree.



I was so smitten with the singles that I had to ply right away. I found another empty bobbin and Navajo plied on the wheel. I don't know how many yards I got, but it's the thinnest yarn I've spun yet. It's maybe sport weight and pretty darn consistent. I soaked it and it's hanging to dry now, but I was too excited to wait for finished yarn photos. I'll add the last picture tomorrow when the yarn is dry.

I love the way the colors blended in this. The yellow and orange pop here and there, and there's a hint of twinkle, but the colors generally complement each other. It's one of those that gets prettier and prettier as you look closer.



I swatched this up on US7's and it is gorgeous! As I knit, the angora bloomed across the surface and created a cohesive looking fabric. This is before blocking. I love the way the colors blend together.

1 comment: