Monday, March 23, 2009

Spinning before and after - "Sprinkles"

Back in January, I got a sample of rainbow dyed wool top from the Painted Tiger. Not long ago, was reading through "Intertwined" by Lexi Boeger. I had a brainstorm and decided to try nubs with the top. I pulled some white corriedale roving out of my fiber stash and got down to it.



This was really time consuming and messy while it was in progress. I ripped the top into tiny little shreds based on color and lined them up next to me. Then I had to spin, stopping every so often to wind another nub into the single. I kept going until I ran out of rainbow top. The singles were thick and thin and really fun. If I had been planning to knit this right up into something to felt, I might have spun a little thicker and kept it as singles.



Next I spun about the same amount of white corriedale, but without the nubs. The singles were a little thinner and consistent. When that was done, I plied both together on the drop spindle. Plying on the spindle worked really well since I had more control over the twist with these two dissimilar singles. Parts of it came out looking like regular two-ply fingering to sport-weight yarn. Other parts are bulky and look thread-plied because of the big difference in diameter between the two singles. It makes a sort of bubbly effect.

End result is 67 yards, 1.9oz, thick and thin, 2-ply that I've named "Sprinkles".



No comments:

Post a Comment