Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Memory Box

I've found a new outlet for my mixed media whims. My wonderful brother has hooked me up with a small collection of empty wooden cigar boxes. I just up-cycled the first one and I really like how it turned out. The top has so much texture. I gessoed it and then painted with many layers of acrylics, glitter and silver stars. I finished the top in beeswax and lined the inside with some starry textured paper. It's about 7 inches square, more or less and the bottom is a mere half inch deep. However, it's a nice size for photos or special little mementos. I've always been attracted to the idea of creating usable art.

This one has gone up in my Etsy shop and I plan to work on more later this week or next week. Every one is a different size and shape, so I'm looking forward to making each one unique. (Click photos to enlarge)







No comments:

Post a Comment